The Care Center of Honolulu has the largest respiratory care unit in the state and has been providing care to ventilator-dependent individuals since 1987. Our specialized unit is dedicated exclusively to adults and children with tracheotomies who require frequent tracheal suctioning, around-the-clock monitoring, and/or are ventilator dependent.
We are able to give our patients their best chance of recovery and highest quality of life by providing nursing and respiratory care combined with nutritional support, medication management and rehabilitation therapies. By combining experience, state-of-the-art technology, and unparalleled training, our doctors, nurses, and therapists provide a team approach for those with complex medical conditions requiring an extended Skilled Nursing Facility stay.
We understand the feeling of helplessness that often occurs when loved ones cannot breathe on their own. Our ventilator teams consist of board-certified physicians, pulmonary program managers, advanced practice nurses, respiratory therapists, nursing and rehabilitation professionals, pharmacists, and nutritionists.
Our services include:
- Consistent physician assessments
- Low patient-to-nurse ratios
- 24-hour aggressive respiratory therapy
- Physical, occupational, and speech therapies to promote independence
- Clinical dietician and nutritional counseling
- Radiology and laboratory services
- Clinical pharmacy
- Individualized case management
Individual Care Plan for Your Needs
An interdisciplinary team actively participates in managing an individualized care plan to provide optimal quality of life and quality of care to each resident. Your specialized team will include a primary care physician, licensed nurses, respiratory therapists, technical nursing aides, and registered dietitian. A social worker will provide medically related social services to help you attain or maintain the highest level of physical, mental, and psycho-social well being possible.
Due to the medical complexity of their condition, patients may also receive:
- Respiratory care, including ventilator and tracheotomy care
- Telemetry and other specialized monitoring
- IV medications
- Chest tubes
- Wound Care
- Prolonged IV antibiotics
- Post-operative care
- Pain management
Our expertise extends to patients who have the following:
- Mechanical ventilator dependence
- Chronic Lung Disease (such as COPD and Emphysema)
- Neuromuscular disorders
- Acute respiratory ailments
- Post-surgical complications
- Spinal cord injuries
- Brain injuries
- Metabolic encephalopathy